Wednesday, April 29, 2015

getting through that awkward length

I have found that many women dread the medium-length stage of growing their hair out, a.k.a. "the awkward length". Honestly, who can blame them? It's not short enough to style the way you used to and it's not the length to have a waterfall of a ponytail draping down your back. I love shorter, mid-length hair, and I can genuinely say that there are things to love about that "awkward" length! I am currently going through this and I want to help give you a new perspective:

1. Realize that what you have is what you have to work with.
So I know that you're craving that long luscious mane, however, it's important to realize that although you aren't at the length you want you are still able to do a lot with it. It's also important to note that you can try styles now that you normally wouldn't be able to try with long hair so take advantage of that! Down below I have some ideas for different styles for that medium-length.

2. What do you like about your hair?
Since this is your hair we are talking about you are going to be its biggest critic. Having that in mind, most people are not going to notice the little details you don't like about your hair. Focus on what you DO like...and accentuate those features. For example, I love the volume that having medium-length hair gives me, so to use this, I like wearing my hair in it's natural, wavy nature vs. straightening it because having the waves give it more volume.

3. Focus on the top of your head--not the bottom.
Your roots need love! This is the hair that is going to stick around for a while if you plan on growing it out. Due to that fact, it's crucial to give it the love and care it needs if you want it to look healthy when it's long. Be careful about colors you choose to dye it, how often you dye it, and even what kinds of shampoo and conditioner you're using. I like using a natural-based shampoo and I wash mine every three days, give or take. Your hair has natural oils in it which keep it looking shiny and healthy so make sure you're giving it time to take care of itself. I know it does depend on the type of hair you have when it comes to how often to wash it (some hair gets oily quicker than others). 

4. Snip snip!
It's true that getting your hair a trim every other month, at least, WILL encourage your hair to grow faster and will keep it looking and feeling healthy. Don't be scared about getting a trim--how I think of it is if I get it trimmed regularly then only a little bit of my ends need to be trimmed instead of letting it go for a while and having to cut three inches off. 

Photo above source: treasuresandtravelsblog.com



HOW TO STYLE IT - just some of my favorite ways 

Source: lovetaza.com
OMBRE
(this looks really good grown out, too)
Source: refinery29.com
STRAIGHT/SLIGHT WAVE
Source: laurenconrad.com
BUN
Source: awelltraveledwoman.tumblr.com
HALF-ROLLED
Source: nursebuff.com
BOW-TIE BUN

Source: 1000drawings.tumblr.com
BRAIDS


I hope this helps those of you who aren't into your hair at the moment! Hang in there and make the most out of the present!

No comments:

Post a Comment